Nightshade Pgh – Issue #1: Declaration
Nightshade is a collective of womyn and queer folks devoted to ensuring a safer community for women/POC/queer/trans folk in Oakland. Queers bash back!
We are planning on putting our first zine out at the end of the month! The theme for the first issue is DECLARATION. So you can submit any type of art, writing, poetry, etc. which fits the theme and the groups ideologies. Create something beautiful about a topic you think the world needs to draw attention to.
DEADLINE: May 16th
Submit by emailing email@example.com
In Our Hands – Issue #2:
Breaking the Silence
Trigger warning: Sexual assault, violence, rape, abuse
In Our Hands—a survivor-centered community accountability reading, discussion, action and support group—is seeking submissions for the next issue of our zine. Our goal with this zine is to offer insight to other survivors on how to manage their own experiences and create an accountability process that is useful and empowering to them. We aim to dismantle Rape Culture by examining each piece of its extremely complex structure. One of the first steps in this process is to identify violent, abusive, and oppressive behaviors. We are looking for stories from survivors of sexual violence, abuse, and/or oppression about your experience and struggles with “breaking the silence.”
Some issues we would like this zine to address are:
- The process of identifying and recognizing what happened or is happening, and finding language to come forward about it;
- The problematic yet common occurrence of violence and re-traumatization that comes with survivor disclosure;
- The difficulty of dealing with other people’s emotions upon disclosure (such as coping with the emotional reactions of friends, family, intimate partners, as well as strangers, enemies, and allies of your perpetrator(s)); Conflicting emotions or confusing memory details.
- How did/do you reconcile those internal conflicts.
This zine is also aimed at supporters and allies of Survivors. We would like to hear from Survivors about:
- What types of support have you experienced that were helpful or harmful?
- What do you wish you had throughout your process of coming forward, holding accountability, and personal healing?
You may choose to address these questions directly, in essay form, or through other forms of creativity, such as poetry or visual art. We ask that written submissions please be limited to 2,000 words or less. Creative forms should be 2 pages or less, at 5.5×8.5″/page.
Please e-mail your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit anonymously via email, you may use:https://anonymousemail.me/
(make sure to write “anonymous” or a pen name in the section titled “name”).
You can also mail a hard copy or digital file to:
In Our Hands
C/O The Big Idea Bookstore
4812 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh PA 15224
The deadline for submission is June 1, 2016.
Link to first zine: